SWPS Scientist: Olivia Jensen, Definition of Science
The word science originally came from the Latin ‘Scientia’ which means knowledge. While in English it is known from the word ‘Science’. Slot Online MPO
Based on this, the word science has now appeared which has been included in the Indonesian dictionary.
As we know that science has a very broad meaning, so the meaning also becomes different among experts.
Science has a universal and objective nature, where the form of research must be arranged automatically and empirically.
Science itself has been studied since school, the theory in it has been carried out by a research process and compiled through a process of observation, until it reaches the stage of drawing conclusions.
The methods of science must be rational, logical and objective. The goal itself is to reveal facts that have not been previously known by humans.
In general, the definition of science is any system of knowledge related to the physical world and its phenomena, both those that require unbiased observations or those that require systematic experimentation.
In general, science involves the pursuit of knowledge that includes general truths or the operation of fundamental laws.
Read also: SWPS Scientist: Elizabeth Olsen
Not all science can be said to be science, here are the characteristics possessed by science as follows:
- The scientific hypothesis must be falsifiable which means that it cannot be checked for errors so that later it cannot be said to be part of science.
- Science is logical, reasonable and rational.
- Scientific experiments must be repeated under the same conditions.
- The science that looks at the inexplicable and in theory as well as there is evidence of suspicion.
- This science demands the use of honesty in reporting and scientific methods.
- There is a simple explanation.
- Science does not accept any form of coincidence or unproven correlation.
- This science has a defined claim as the evidence base that is not yet available.
- Science requires an effort for its objectivity, including control variables and biases.
- Science Limits
- Based on the previous objectives, we know that science is closely related to the facts that make science dependent on human existence.
This proves that science is an effect of the limited human ability to observe physical reality objectively.
A limitation can arise because of a very limited physical characteristic and various kinds of experience expectations.
In addition, there are still some limitations that arise because of other fundamentals of science in ‘a specific way of looking at things’ and ‘methodologies that can generate, discover, test and find out various kinds of true and reliable knowledge in physical terms’. . Examples of these limitations can be seen below:
- Another limitation of science is an inability to provide solid answers to fundamental questions about physical reality.
- There are various abilities to describe reality and these boundaries can be removed or even reduced by developing more advanced technology. These limits have an intrinsic and basic nature, which is the ability to accurately describe an everyday event and describe what has actually happened.
- There are several concepts in science that are based on a set of beliefs or preconceived notions that cannot be explained by logic or simply based on existing facts.
Another limitation of science is its inability to provide a sufficiently strong answer to a number of fundamental questions about its physical reality.
The Nature of Science
Science is a science that is studied by humans, various kinds of scope belonging to science are everything that can be accepted by humans, such as their eyesight and vision.
Science itself is knowledge obtained from the learning process accompanied by a process of testing or proof.
Various kinds of scientific theories have also undergone many developments so that it is not possible that later there will be new theories that are able to solve old theories.
Science can simply be said to be a dynamic science following the times.
In addition, science can also be said to have a universal nature. This means that science can be done anywhere, anytime, and by anyone.
Because basically they will get the same result. Science has a systematic and logistical nature, where research must be carried out in an empirical and objective way.